About Us

Published in the Monmouthshire Beacon, 3rd December 2014

Published in the Monmouthshire Beacon,
3rd December 2014

Standing proud with its distinctive Georgian frontage, The Gate House sits adjacent to the river Monnow at the start of the main street through the market town of Monmouth.

The Gate House is uniquely located at the site of the medieval Monnow Bridge, the only remaining fortified bridge in the UK, dating back to circa 1277 AD, replacing an earlier wooden crossing. Being a border town, this Bridge and Gate are symbolic of Monmouth and historically has been of great importance both strategically and economically.

The Gate House dates back centuries, however, it has a fresh and contemporary feel whilst offering all the traditional qualities on which we pride ourselves. We are the only family owned and operated independent free house in the town, offering a service by people who care – our staff are professional, friendly and efficient.

Every care is taken to ensure any visit is enjoyable, be it for a quick coffee, al fresco lunch or a leisurely dinner it becomes a most enjoyable and memorable interlude. Hospitality personified!